The Stansted Airport Express 100
This page is for downloading alternative versions of the GPS files for this, Tom Deakins' calendar event, starting from Witham on Saturday 4 December 2021. A couple of groups starts, the main one officially a 10am start. If you want information about the ride itself, visit AUK or yacf.
Note — This event starts from The Battesford Court Wetherspoons public house, back to the original source again after a year of hiatus.
The GPS routes given on this page were ridden successfully by me last year and the year before, and the year before that.
The GPS Files
IMPORTANT — make sure you understand which version of the following GPS files are most suitable for your device.
- Garmin Edge devices — new 500, new 700, 800/810/820, 1000, 1030 — use TCX; 10,000 points should be okay
- The RideWithGPS IQ App also allows direct download from the pinned track to the latest Garmin Edge units with mobile connection
- Older Garmin Edge devices — you're in a murky area in that TCX should work, but you may get a more reliable result from GPX; 10,000 points should be okay
- Wahoo devices — TCX 10k, or "pin" the RideWithGPS route
- Older Garmin devices — GPX and either 250-point or 500-point depending on which device.
Make sure you test these files out on your device before you start!
The full-route files are provided as a single TCX or GPX each. However, the rest of the GPS routes, where the route is split into multiple GPS files, are provided as a ZIP file for each format — you require all of the files in the ZIP file!
The routes are provided as follows:
- a single route for the whole 100km —
- the route in two 50km halves —
There are additional notes in the organiser's notes and routesheet, including cautions and alternative routes. It is your responsibility to familiarise yourself with the route and any reported hazards before you start, especially as none of this information is included in the GPS files!
This is now where it gets complicated — there are a LOT of options here, sorted by how split up the route is, how many points in each part, and whether it's TCX or GPX.
The 'proper' route — forwards
This is the official, fair-weather winter route described in Tom's routesheet.
Note: screen-name starts
If you're still having GPS problems or have a question about GPS then email Nick.
If you have a question for the event organiser, then email Tom Deakins.